When looking for camping gadgets, people purchase high-end electronic items they think are vital for camping, but neglect the devices that can play an important part of survival. A question each camper should ask is:
How would they alert people if an emergency occurred and they had no mobile phone signal to contact anyone?
When being outdoors in the wilderness, it is important to stay connected with your family and friends so that if an emergency occurs, you can communicate with your group. Luckily, two-way radios are a safety device as well as a communication device because of their key features.
Here’s why two-way radios are the perfect addition to your camping bag:
- Easy to use - Many of our two-way radios have a simple set-up with the easy pairing function and push-to-talk button to communicate with the other users. Any member of your family will be able to use our two-way radios with ease, including children in case of an emergency.
- Panic button – Some of our two-way radios are equipped with a panic button which sounds an alarm to inform anyone in your surroundings of an emergency.
- Good range – If you veer off your trail whilst on a walk, you can still communicate with your family as many of our two-way radios cover a large range.*
- Hands-free – This feature allows you to contact your camping group by speaking to your radio without having to use the push-to-talk button.
- LED torch – The LED torch provides emergency light when needed so you can read your map in the dark.
- Robust design – Many of our two-way radios are child-friendly as they have a rugged design that can manage any knocks, drops and scrapes made by children.
Why two-way radios can be more useful than mobile phones
Whilst mobile phones have the capability to act like Sat Nav’s and computers, two-way radios can be more useful than your mobile phone when camping. You may have agreed as a family that mobile phones are not allowed on your camping trip as it gives you a chance to spend time with family and connect with nature. Here’s why two-way radios can be more useful than mobile phones:
- When camping you are likely to encounter a lack of cellular signal, luckily this isn’t an issue for two-way radios as they don’t rely on this, they work off their own frequencies.
- Some of our two-way radio’s battery life can last up to 18 hours on average use. This is can be longer than a mobile phone’s battery power with standard use.
- Many of our two-way radios have a durable construction and a weatherproof IPx4 rating, so if bad weather occurs when camping, your two-way radio can keep you connected. This is unlike mobile phones where they can become damaged when wet.
Lightweight two-way radios:
It makes sense that you do not want to add additional heavy weight to your camping gear or backpack. Luckily, some of our two-way radios are lightweight and compact for those outdoor activities when camping.
We have a range of licence-free two-way radios available on our site which may benefit you when camping as they are easy to use and a cheap option. They also arrive with pre-programmed radio frequencies which is ideal if you want to use your two-way radio straight out of the box.
Pros of licence-free two-way radios:
- Arrive pre-programmed.
- Can be operated anywhere in the UK.
- No call fees or contracts
Two-way radios we recommend for your camping trips:
- X4 Two-way radios
- Emergency panic button
- Durable and weatherproof with IP4 rating.
- Up to 10km in range*
- Up to 18 hours of standard use battery life
- LED torch
- Vibrate alert & hands-free.
- Emergency panic button
- Hands-free voice activation
- Vibrate alert.
- Floats when dropped in water.
- Battery level indicator
- Belt-clips have built-in whistles.
*Coverage may vary based on conditions and terrain.